Friday 14 August 2009

Cornish Cream Teas


Being in Cornwall, I HAD to make my own scones! I’m a very amateur chef, and it didn’t help that I had to guess the measures, but the end result was not only edible but remarkably quite nice! I feel very proud.

For anyone else who wants to make some, here is the recipe that I used (although it was a bit improvised)…

Ingredients:
225g Self Raising Flour
55g Butter
25g Caster Sugar
150ml Milk
A pinch of salt

Method:
1) Heat the oven to 220 C/Gas 7
2) Mix the flour and salt and rub in the butter. Then stir in the sugar and milk (bit by bit - you may not need all of it) to make a dough.
3) Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead it lightly, then pat it out until it is about 2cm thick. Use a cutter to cut out rounds and put them on a greased baking sheet.
4) Brush the tops with some milk.
5) Bake for 15 minutes until golden.


Scones are usually eaten with clotted cream and jam (the jam is put on first if you’re in Cornwall, and the other way around in Devon!).

Sadie xxx

15 comments:

Corinna said...

i love baking, i have to try these out once it gets a bit colder

street angel said...

The scones look wonderful!!

Kitty said...

the scones look great! cute pictures xx

suzie said...

cute! i don't usually eat scones but these look great :). xoxo!

Shared closet said...

wow!!! paula and I will do tomorrow your cornish cream tea!!!! (we have never cooked..but.. we'll try :S) hahah
your blog ass always, lovely and amazing :)
xoxo
valentina&paula

Amy // The Girl In The Bowler Hat said...

These look lovely. I'm suddenly feeling very hungry :)

xxxx

mice said...

looks stunning tasty! (:

http://placeforthemoment.blogspot.com

Parapluie said...

Mmh, they look delicious!

denise said...

YUMMYYYY :D

Lulapop said...

yummy they look soo great! I'll try to make them!
xxx

Leanne Flavell said...

hmm tasty! I had no idea about the cornwall devon jam and cream thing how interesting! :) ox

Elena said...

yummie!
that looks tasty!! :P

PinkBow said...

mmm, love scones, never tried to make them myself though

bunni said...

Riight. I could never understand why some people did it the wrong way round (the cornish way) - being from devon myself.
Oh and hi. I accidently came out from lurking then.

Victoria Hart said...

These look so good! xxx